How can Coaches be used in Schools?
Below are some examples who how coaches can assist with PE and sport delivery in your school.
- Provide additional capacity to help schools to deliver a greater range and frequency of school sport opportunities for their children and young people
- Assist teachers in improving their knowledge around the development of core skills in young people such as locomotion, object control, stability, balance and co-ordination.
- Help to ensure the PE and School Sport premium funding as a sustainable legacy by directly up-skilling teachers technical knowledge of sport.
- Support teachers to develop FUNdamental movement skills in young people to help them to be more confident to participate in sport and physical activity as part of a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Promote lifelong participation in sport and physical activity to young people.
- Be role models and play a pivotal role in the mentoring and development of young leaders as coaches
- Help to develop skills for life and skills for employability in young people through empowerment and engagement of young people in leadership roles in sport.
- Contribute to the raising achievement agenda in schools through developing confidence and self-esteem in young people through sport and through educating young people on the importance and value of sport.
- Support the transition between school and community sport through helping to create and develop satellite clubs and developing links with local community sports clubs
sportscoachUK have worked with various partners to create a Coaching in Schools Portal to assist Primary Schools with the use of Sports Coaches. Click on the image below to see the portal.
Choosing the right Sports Coach
- Choose a coach who has the minimum of a Level 2 governing body qualification.
- Choose a coach that meets the Minimum Standards of Deployment as set out by Sportscoach UK. This means a coach that has an attendance certificate, within the last three years, in Safeguarding and Equity in Your Coaching. We also recommend attendance at a First Aid course
- Choose a coach who has some experience of working with this age group and understands their needs
- Here is a tool to help you understand what qualifications your coach should have to deliver each sport according to the National Governing body.