Great East Swim Outreach Programme
If you are aged 18 or over and currently inactive you could be taking part in this years programme. Find out how below!
What is the eligibility criteria?
- aged 18 years or over on March 29th 2020
- be inactive (doing less than 30 minutes moderate to vigorous activity per week)
- able to swim a minimum of 50meters
- be available to attend the induction event March 29th 2020
- commit to attending at least 8 of the 12 training sessions at your allocated pool.
- be available on the 20th June 2020 to participate in either the ½ or 1 mile swim at the Great East Swim
- Pay £30 (Value of the programme £200 per participant)
- Undertake additional swimming sessions throughout the programme to develop fitness and stamina. The expectation is that participants will undertake at least one further swimming session per week.
What will I receive?
- 12 x 45 minute coached training sessions with an experienced open water instructor at one of two locations, Crown Pools, Ipswich or Bury St Edmunds Leisure Centre, Bury St Edmunds
- 3 month swimming pass to enable you to train for the swim during the period from April – June
- one open water training session
- use of a wetsuit with an option to purchase
- entry to the Great East Swim 1/2 or 1 mile waves
- fast track physiotherapy support and access to a strength and conditioning masterclass with Allied Health Professionals (AHP)
Great East Swim Project
What have past participants said about the programme?
- "Utterly superb! So very grateful for the tremendous support they've provided throughout" Isabella
- "Life changing. Confidence boosting. I have strengthened friendships, increased confidence in my abilities and improved my physical and mental health and strength vastly" Lavinia
- "It's really hard to put this into words. It has had a huge impact! I am still buzzing over the swim day and have already signed up for two more events later this year. In combination with changing some eating patterns, I've lost more than 40lbs over the course of the program and have really come to love not just the swimming but the way my body feels (even the tiredness!) after doing it. It's also had a carryover effect, making me more confident in working at cycling and walking/hiking. Also, before starting the program, when I thought about doing something like this, I had so much anxiety about whether I would be good enough, whether I would look like I belonged, whether I would just look stupid for trying it. The programme has really helped me realise that we all have to start somewhere and that it's okay to just put your head down and do what you need to do" Amaris
- I have lost a stone in weight. Cut down massively with smoking and my general fitness is now much improved. Mark
- "The programme has been amazing - it has made me believe I can do anything. There is no way I thought I could do this but the encouragement and belief of the coaches, Carol and fellow swimmers has got me through. I am now exercising at least 5 times a week and am running the 5k Race for Life tomorrow. I would never believed I could do that when I started" Clara
To find out more about the 2020 Great East Swim click HERE
Sport, Health and Inclusion Development Manager (Culture, Sport and Communities)
Suffolk County Council
Programme Coordinator Great East Swim Outreach Programme
Suffolk County Council
- 07955 735514