Last updated: 30/03/2020
Following the recent government announcements and current situation relating to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Active Suffolk team is working closely to establish a plan of action regarding upcoming courses and events.
Updates regarding any of our projects, events and courses we are supporting over the upcoming months, will be shared here and added to our social media feeds.
COVID-19 - What you need to do
On the 23rd March 2020 the UK government introduced three new measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus and help control the pandemic:
- Requiring people to stay at home, except for very limited purposes
- Closing non-essential shops and community spaces
- Stopping all gatherings of more than two people in public
UK residents must now only leave the house for one of four reasons:
- Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
- One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
- Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.
COVID-19 - What actions are we taking?
In light of the recent guidelines, we have taken a series of actions to help protect our staff, reduce the risk of the virus spreading and protect those that may have been booked onto future events.
We will work to update you by listing any significant cancellations or changes on this page.
- Our current Fit Villages projects that are already being delivered across Suffolk have been postponed until further notice
- Our future Fit Villages projects which were due to launch will no longer be going ahead, instead we will be working to support new launches from June 2020. If you would like to see a Fit Villages project in your area later this year, or you are an instructor that would be interested in supporting the project, please find out more HERE
- The Active Wellbeing service, currently being offered in Capel St Mary and East Bergholt, Bildeston and Debenham will no longer be operating in the usual way. The team will be offering telephone consultations where required and will getting ready for the launch of our next locations in Holbrook & Shotley, Glemsford and Eye from June 2020 onwards.
- The Bildeston physical activity day scheduled for 4th April has unfortunately been postponed.
- The Glemsford Community Meeting scheduled for 2nd April will be rescheduled
- All Suffolk School Games qualifiers planned before Easter 2020 have unfortunately been cancelled. Post Easter events are currently under review and further updates will be shared.
- The First Aid, Emergency First Aid and Safeguarding courses planned for April and May have been cancelled.
- Most Active County have taken the difficult decision to cancel the Great East Swim Outreach Programme 2020. The Great East Swim scheduled for the 20th June is currently scheduled to go ahead as planned although the organisers are closely monitoring the situation and are aware that it is unlikely to be able to go ahead. Further updates regarding the event going forward will be updated at www.greatrun.org/great-swim/great-east-swim.
- The Great East Run Outreach Programme has now been cancelled. All those who had applied to take part in this years programme will be notified.
Aside from these changes, the team have adapted their usual working arrangements and are taking additional care to protect their health by following the guidance provided by the government. We urge you to do the same.
Make sure you keep up to date with the latest government guidelines. All details regarding current recommendations can be found on the GOV.UK website.
For further information about the coronavirus, including what to do if you think you have it and how to reduce your chances of getting it, visit the NHS website.