CPD Directory & Resources to support the delivery of Physical Education
Active Suffolk work with various organisations to offer professional development opportunities for school staff across Suffolk.
Here we have collated just some of the providers that are available to support you and your school to ensure high quality delivery of PE, School Sport & Physical Activity.
To access further guidance and information of more generic courses that may be relevant to you as a teacher, please visit our Suffolk Workforce website.
For more information please contact us or take a look at our Courses & Workshop page to see any upcoming courses that you may like to book onto.
Don't forget to sign up to the Primary School PE Newsletter which often shares ongoing CPD opportunities in each edition. Click here to sign up so you don't miss out!
Association for Physical Education
The Association for Physical Education (afPE) is the only representative PE Subject Association in the UK. afPE provide quality assured services and resources and valuable professional support for members and the physical education, school sport and physical activity sector.
For more information, click HERE.
Check out the new nationally recognised qualification that enables delegates to become specialists in supporting the emotional and social wellbeing of pupils through physical education. Suitable for both Primary & School school teachers. Click below to find out more:
Boing develop children's physical literacy through active play, supporting practitioners to create playful, active and inclusive spaces for children to explore and develop in. Suitable for teachers, coaches and community workers or anyone working with children.
The Boing Playtank provides a programme of over 120 games for schools to use, as well as, professional development for teachers to understand the Boing principles, all of which have been developed through research and are evidence-based approaches to PE in primary aged children.
The Virtual Coaching Course is delivered in partnership with Sport England and is currently only £10 (booking fee), the course itself is FREE thanks to Sport England.
Click here to find out more and how to book.
British Dodgeball is recognised as the National Governing Body for dodgeball in Great Britain and Northern Ireland (the UK) by the World Dodgeball Federation and the European Dodgeball Federation. We offer support and services to the national teams, clubs, players, coaches and officials. We aim to inspire generations and communities to experience the benefits of playing dodgeball.
This online course gives an introduction to the correct rules, equipment and sporting code used in dodgeball. It will also help you consider how to coach safe sessions and coach the basic skills of dodgeball.
Introduction to School Dodgeball Online Course -
This online course is specifically aimed at those working in school environments. It gives an introduction to the correct rules, equipment and sporting code used in dodgeball. It will also help you consider how to lead safe sessions and coach the basic skills of dodgeball. Finally, this course contains additional school-specific pages which will help you to adapt dodgeball for PE lessons, planning and teaching effectively.
Create Development provide innovative training and resources to support schools, families and communities to transform the culture of physical activity, through a primary PE digital platform known as 'Jasmine'.
Jasmine supports teachers and pupils through several programmes as listed below, all of which Jasmine supports:
- real PE - fully aligned to the National Curriculum & Ofsted requirements, the core real PE programme includes training & resources, with fun and simple to follow schemes of work to support staff, giving them the confidence and skills to deliver outstanding PE.
- real gym - a new and holistic approach that makes gymnastics relevant, meaningful and challenging for every child. Supporting teaching staff to re-frame their view of gymnastics, making gymnastic skills and progressions simple and easy to implement.
- real play - a captivating programme which supports families through the power of play. Suitable for EYFS, KS1 and any PE staff, Teaching Assistants, SENCOs and Family Support Workers.
- real leaders - enables schools to deliver leadership programmes in school that support the development of Leadership Fundamentals in a fun and engaging way. Suitable for both teachers and pupils in Year 5/6.
- real legacy - a bespoke school-based support programme.
- real coaching - programme that supports the transformation of coaching habits to develop children's essential learning behaviours, empowering coaches to make life-changing differences and deliver outstanding coaching. Suitable for all coaches and volunteers working with 4-11 year old children.
Create & Dance
The Royal Opera House's Create and Dance programme offers creative learning for schools across England. The programme has been designed with teachers, maintaining strong curriculum links to develop children's understanding of dance; stimulating their imagination and creativity.
Several courses offered, including; dedicated teacher training, classroom films and lesson plans to suit the needs of teachers and their students and support to improve PE provision, covering four of the five key indicators of the schools sports premium.
Suitable practical training for KS1, KS2 & KS3 teachers (no previous dance knowledge needed to take part).
For further information please click HERE.
Creative Minds- Performing Arts Education provide innovative teacher training and creative learning pupil workshops for schools across England.
CPD Workshops - CPD training works with teachers and schools to support them to improve their performing arts provision and equip teachers to embed creative learning approaches into every aspect of school life. (No previous performing arts knowledge is needed to take part). All workshops provided are bespoke to suit the needs of individual schools.
Curriculum Development - workshops support all year groups to learn and discover any curriculum topic to support a practical approach, with a focus on drama, dance and creative learning techniques.
Mental Health & Emotional Resilience - This interactive workshop, suitable for any year group, uses performing arts creative learning approaches to re-engage children to learning. Together we explore pathways leading back to the love of learning and supporting mental/emotional resilience.
Enrichment packages - sessions work alongside National campaigns as enrichment days linked to topics, such as World Book Day, World Maths Day, Share a Story Month, Anti-Bullying Week, just to name a few.
Lesson planning and resources - working with schools to create easy to follow plans and resources to use within the curriculum.
For further information please visit www.creativemindseducate.co.uk
East Anglia Gymnastics
A local gymnastics club with bases in Great Yarmouth & Lowestoft, however county wide support is available.
Coaches are trained to a high standard through qualifications with British Gymnastics and can deliver all of the School Teacher qualifications, as listed on British Gymnastics.
Additional support is also available, including: continuous CPD to complement the courses above, bespoke training dependent on the schools need and free workshops.
England Netball - Bee Netball
Bee Netball workshop's are available to equip you with the knowledge and confidence to get involved in delivering a Bee Netball session or lesson in either a school or club. Great for schools wanting to re-fresh how they currently deliver Netball.
To arrange a workshop or to find out about any upcoming local courses*, please contact Chloe Anderson - Suffolk Netball Development Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note, due to Covid-19 courses are currently on hold until it is safe for them to be delivered. Watch this space for new dates to be confirmed in Suffolk!!
Get Set 4 PE
An online resource to connect teachers and pupils to high quality PE, with everything needed in one place. Get Set 4 PE aims to provide a platform that is simple and easy to use, saving teachers significant time on planning and assessment, whilst increasing their confidence in delivery.
A variety of support available to purchase, including: lesson plans and schemes of work, curriculum mapping, resource bank, assessments and workshops to support the resources, as well as, general workshops for all.
OneLife Suffolk offer a number of healthy lifestyle services to support children, young people and adults to lead healthy and active lives, information on all of these services can be found here.
- Families & Young People Service - a combination of community and in school programmes that focus on the importance of healthy lifestyles. Free webinars are available to access here, which could be used to support the education of healthy lifestyles to pupils.
- Making Every Contact Count (MECC) - a training programme that is delivered across the Nation and supported by Public Health England. MECC training is FREE and delivered locally by OneLife Suffolk either by face-face small groups* or via the E-Learning platform to complete the 60-minute e-learning course. The session will deliver confidence and an ability to have an effective behaviour change conversation, providing valuable tools for use in the workplace and daily life.
*Please note, due to Covid-19 this option is currently suspended but Skype or Zoom are available.
School Games Organisers
Each School Games Organiser (SGO) provides local CPD for schools within their area. To find who your local SGO is and to stay up to date with local opportunities, please click HERE.
Suffolk Mind - EARLY Minds Programme
The EARLY Minds programme, delivered by Suffolk Mind, is aimed at all primary school children, their parents, carers and teachers. The programme will help children to recognise their emotional needs and to identify healthy ways in which to get emotional needs met. Sessions have been carefully planned and prepared to deliver topics sensitively and age appropriate. Topic include feeling worried, peer pressure, bullying and anger.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, Suffolk Mind created fun and educational worksheets to help teachers help students to look after their mental health. View the worksheets here.
Teach Active (formerly known as Maths of the Day), work in partnership with Youth Sport Trust and aim to improve attitudes and attainment in Maths and English. Teach Active is an online resource tool, providing teachers with lesson plans and resources to deliver the Primary Maths and English curriculum through physical activity.
The online lesson plans and resources have been designed to help inspire, motivate and engage pupils whilst increasing levels of physical activity.
Free webinars, training and demonstrations are available here.
Click here to visit Teach Active's website to find out more.
UK Coaching provide support, workshops and courses for any form of coach, facilitator, instructor, leader, teacher or trainer, who helps people to be active and improve.
- FREE* Mental Health Awareness for Sport & Physical Activity - an online course that will help you to gain the confidence to be able to support people experiencing mental health problems, and help them to thrive inside and outside of your sessions.
*Please note, the course is only free until 31st August 2020, £18 thereafter.
- 1st4sport - a partner of UK Coaching that provide a portal with fun, online courses for teachers and coaches. Multiple online courses available, including the 'PE Confidence Series' with 6 modules, to help teachers overcome everyday PE challenges through on-demand courses that can be completed at your own pace.
VisionED - Specialists in Primary Physical Education
VisionED are a business associate of the Association for Physical Education, providing schools and teachers with award-winning, accredited qualifications, CPD and consultancy services to ensure all pupils benefit from enjoyable, experiential and compelling learning.
Multiple courses and qualifications available, covering topics such as:
- Teaching Curricular Gymnastics
- Teaching & Inspiring Dance
- Outdoor & Adventurous Activities
- MSA Training - Promoting Physicial Activity & Positive Play
- Various qualifications and workshops to support PE Leadership
All of which can be found by clicking here.*
Due to restrictions, additional courses have been developed and adapted so delivery can continue, take a look at the FREE online course in 'Developing & Providing Leadership in High Quality PE / PESSPA' & the new distant learning version of the 'National Qualification in Leadership & Management in Primary PE'.
*Please note, some course delivery may be restricted due to Covid-19.
Youth Sport Trust
Youth Sport Trust (YST) are a children's charity who believe in every child's future and work to ensure every child enjoys the life-changing benefits that come from play and sport. We work in partnership with YST via School Games and through the provision of CPD opportunities locally in Suffolk.
They support schools and the wider community by:
- Developing innovative resources, training, professional development and programmes to support young people in PE & Sport.
- Delivering high quality events, programmes, activities, camps and experiences for young people and their wider support base (parents/carers, teachers/coaches).
- Challenging convention where there are opportunities to improve the provision, quality and approach of using PESSPA to improve young people's lives.
Primary School Resources & Learning
YST's Primary school resource library lists workshops, courses and useful documents that could support your school and staff. A range of topics are covered including: mentoring, support & resources to deliver high quality PE, inclusive activities, active lessons and active spaces. Click the link above to a take look.